Friday, May 31, 2013

The TLC 3-Week experience through my eyes


by TLC Graduate, Kiesha Cannon

I applied to the TLC 3-week course while I was co-counsel with Assistant Public Defender MeLisa McNeil, a graduate of the TLC Death Penalty Seminar. I shared with her how nervous I was about my first murder case, which was court-appointed, and she recommended the TLC program.

When I was accepted into TLC, I was in a place in my life when I truly needed it; I needed a life changing experience. I believe God was speaking to me, letting me know that this was that experience.

Before attending the program, I had no idea what I was getting in to. MeLisa did not tell me anything about the program, besides sharing it was in Wyoming. I had no reservations about attending. I was excited about the possibility of the life changing experience I desired.

Being at TLC was one of the happiest times of my life. There is magic there. If you are open to the possibility, the experience will change you. I was made better there. I loved and was loved. I felt safe.

The most important lesson I learned through my time with TLC was the importance of honesty. Being honest with myself is necessary before I can be honest with anyone else. I learned that everybody is going through the same things in life. While I'm far from perfect, I am willing to do the hard work it takes to be a better human. My experience has helped me try to be more compassionate; I double everybody before I rush to anger or judgment.

After TLC, I feel like I'm seeing everything in life through a fresh set of eyes and life is different... It's better. I'm really grateful to God for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment